Detroit police arrest ‘Chop Shop’ owner after finding $100,000 worth of stolen car parts
DETROIT (CBS Detroit) — Police have arrested a man after an investigation into an illegal chop shop on Detroit’s West Side.
According to the Detroit Police Department, investigators conducted a commercial inspection in the 8000 block of West Chicago Street. The inspection was to confirm that the business had closed and was not operating according to the City of Detroit’s Department of Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environment (BSEED).
Authorities say officers analyzed information from a stolen 2014 GMC Sierra located in the yard. Officers typed in a search warrant for the location after it was confirmed the vehicle was stolen. Several vehicle parts and stripped vehicles on the floor and racks inside the location.
The stolen coins found and seized are worth more than $100,000 in total.
Officials say that while executing the search warrant, officers found the following stolen vehicle parts in the building:
- 2012 Chrysler Challenger, engine and door
- 2009 Chevrolet Malibu, engine and transmission
- 2013 Chrysler 300, engine, transmission and trunk lid
- 2017 Lincoln MKZ, doors and trunk lid
- 2007 Honda Civic, engine and front firewall
- 2017 Lincoln MKZ, 3 doors and trunk lid
- 2007 Honda Civic, front half
© 2022 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.